Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Sunday, May 17, 2009

KO7M Suddenly Goes Manhattan

Perhaps he picked up the vibrations from Dayton and FDIM where they were conducting a Sudden Receiver build-a-thon... Jeff, KO7M, (aka the lucky guy with the Piper Cub) recently tried out Mahanttan-style construction -- he built an NE602-LM386 Sudden Receiver... and liked it.

Jeff writes:

Believe it or not, I have never built anything Manhattan style… So, I decided to give it a go and built a little 40m DC receiver designed by Rev. George Dobbs G3RJV consisting of a NE612 and LM386. I have included a shot of it below. I was very pleased with this building style and think I may adopt it going forward. In particular I like how easy it is to make changes. I just used tin snips to make the pads. For the 8 pin IC pads, I cut them 2 cm square and used a hacksaw to saw between the IC pins and up the middle to separate the pin pads electrically by removing the copper. Make sense? Very simple to then bend the IC pins 90 degrees and solder them down. Preaching to choir, I know… But it takes some us a little longer to get on board, eh? J I was very pleased with the outcome.

I like Jeff's technique for the IC pads. I will have to try that.

SolderSmoke 108 will feature an interview with George Dobbs in which he talks about the Sudden Build-a-thon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column